Governor Ron DeSantis introduced a resolution at the Florida Cabinet meeting today declaring the month of March as Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month in Florida. The resolution was adopted unanimously.
Representatives from the following organizations expressed support for the Cabinet resolution:
- Agency for Persons with Disabilities (APD)
- Family Care Council Area 2
- Florida Developmental Disabilities Council
- Florida Association of Rehabilitation Facilities
- ABLE Trust
- Vocational Rehabilitation
- Blind Services
- Department of Economic Opportunity
- Arc of Florida
- Association of Support Coordination Agencies of Florida
- Support Coordination Association of Florida
Titus Williams of Tallahassee addressed the Governor and Cabinet on the importance of employment for people with developmental disabilities. Williams works in the cafeteria at W. T. Moore Elementary School in Tallahassee.
APD Director Barbara Palmer said, “We are excited to have Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month declared by the Governor and Cabinet. Thank you to Governor DeSantis for sponsoring the resolution. This is a wonderful opportunity to highlight the achievements and challenges of people with developmental disabilities in Florida.”